Wednesday, December 22, 2010

'Tis the Season to Spend, Spend, and Spend

The holidays are usually the only time of the year I do mass amounts of shopping, and the shopping is not even for myself. Each year that passes seem to become more and more stressful but I do have a good time browsing  through the current styles that I've been missing out on for the whole year..and getting tempted to buy a bunch of things for myself! It's so easy to get sucked into current trends and material things. BUT instead of splurging on these types of things, I know where my money will ultimately go! After the gift-buying fiasco ends, I will be going back to spoiling my flock. I have to say that I genuinely love buying things for them because I hate the idea that they are bored or restless, especially the Caiques who get especially antsy and have so much energy that I find it hard to keep up with them. The solution is to stock up their cages with tons of new toys and experiment with LOTS of new food items! I've created a "wish list" of things that my parrots will be receiving in 2011:

-The "Atom" from Mother Pluckin Bird Toys (Such a creative name for a bird store!)
This can be hung from the ceiling and will provide great exercise for the birds to climb, swing, and play on. It is pricey but I've been told that it is a "must-have" for any parrot (and parrot owner, hehe).

-A Java Tree Playstand made of Java Wood. These would look great in my future bird room and can provide an extra place of fun for the parrots to hang out on!

-A metal playstand for more general playing and hanging out on. Seriously, a bird cannot have enough places to play on! Trust me. I particularly like this playstand because it has a lot of rings for hanging various toys onto!

-The "Wingdow Seat" -- a very nice and sturdy perch that goes up on any window and allows parrots to watch outdoor activities from a safe place. Also pricey, but I know how much my parrots love sitting at the window and staring at the sky and trees, so this will give them the perfect place to do this without getting too cold from any drafts. They sit at the window now and when I go to pick them up, their little feet are ice cold! Poor babies, this will have to be fixed =)

There are many more things on my list but these are the "major" investments. One reason I do not want to buy too many things right away, especially the really big things, is because I am running out of space! All of my parrots are sharing a small bedroom with me and they have already taken up so much space. The only space I have left to myself are my twin bed and closet! My boyfriend and I hope to have a place someday with an extra room just for the birds, which will become the aviary/bird room. We talk about plans on how it will look like and I always get super excited! For now, though, we have to work with the limited space we have and try to keep our birds as happy as possible with the smaller things.

Caiques' cage

Caiques' play area

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAH OH MY GOD. I can't get over how your dresser has become their playground!!! This is so funny. I'm glad they bring you so much joy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! Yes, they have completely taken over my entire room minus my bed & closet :) My sister says my room is the jungle..and it's only getting more jungle-like every day! You should come and see them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your dresser is their playground! It's like my bedroom now! LOL. I'm glad i'm not the only crazy girl that has let her birds take over her room!!!!!
    I'm impressed though, there is NO WAY i could fit three cages into my room LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yeah! I'm glad I'm not alone either :) My friends think it's insane but I know secretly they think it's cool, lol jk!

    It's a tight squeeze..but thankfully I'm moving to my own place in August so I can't wait to have more room!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jealous! I'd love to move out and have more space! I don't think I can handle anymore parrots right now, but it'd be nice to have MY OWN space once and a while! hehe

    ReplyDelete